THE ORGAN RENOVATION PROJECT
The Organ is based on an instrument which had been taken out of Bangor Cathedral, constructed by Samuel Green in 1779. It was installed at Holy Angels, much modified, by Bishop & Son in 1877. The magnificant case was designed by G.F.Bodley and Canon Frederick Sutton. Bishops carried out subsequent modifications and in 1935 Conacher Sheffield made significant changes, including a new Swell and the introduction of pneumatic action. By the 1970s, the instrument had fallen into disrepair and was replaced for services by an electronic organ.
Following the generous offer in 2009 of financial assistance by a local benefactor to fund the organ's restoration , a detailed appraisal of the options was carried out by Dr. William McVicar. Because of the crampted site, it was decided to revert to the 1877 layout and to strip out the pneumatic action. After inviting a number of contractors to tender for the work, it was decided to award the contract to Bishop & Son, the original supplier.